Sam, You're Healed!

Well, not quite... but that is where we're hoping and praying we'll be soon!  Kory and I have learned to do everything we possibly can out of our bedroom, which has become Sam's refuge.  As soon as we're out of her line of sight, the yelping and crying begins.  In hopes of minimizing her separation anxiety, we take turns escaping from our tiny bedroom. 
Last week we had a little scare.  On Wednesday night, when Kory came home from work, Sam became her usual wild woman when she realized her favorite guy was near.  She jumped up on her hind legs (one being the gimpy leg) and came down with the most horrifying cry.  Kory and I were both very concerned.  Sam will whine endlessly because she wants attention or needs to go outside, but we've only heard her whimper in pain a handful of times and never like this.  She went from using her leg occasionally to acting like it was not there at all.  She kept it tucked up to her belly and hopped around.  We "knew" we were in trouble.   On Thursday, I kept a close eye on her.  She still refused to use the leg at all.  When we informed her surgeon of what had happened, she insisted that we bring her in ASAP.  
When we arrived at the vet's office and Sam realized where we were, she whined like she was being tortured.  After dragging her into the office, they were able to do a physical exam and take an x-ray.  The surgeon's assistant informed us that we'd surely taken several steps back as far as Sam's recovery is concerned.  An x-ray revealed nothing.  Everything internally seemed a-OK.  Thank goodness.  
We thanked our lucky stars that our little untamed beast wouldn't need additional attention from our surgeon... and is still on track to regain full use of her 4th leg!
When we got back home, we locked ourselves in Sam's makeshift bedroom/kennel, and snuggled in for a calm and restful evening.  We're still trying to figure out how to keep her from going crazy when Kory gets home.  The only solution we've arrived at is Kory quitting his job and becoming a stay at home 'Sam Snuggler.'  Unlikely, but I think Sam and Kory would agree that it would be a dream they both hope to attain! :)

1 comments:

Aaron [air] said...
March 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I really hope it gets better. I think you may want to consider getting her a kennel for times like that. I have never done it but I hear it helps and if it means her leg healing it really may help. Because she wouldn't be able to jump and go crazy. Because even if he is super quiet I think they just know and can sense and smell their favorite people!

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Head Over Heels. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.