My big sister first introduced me to the concept of a "love language." She explained to me that this abstract concept is simply pin pointing how we show love and what expression optimizes our feeling of being loved.
There are 5 basic languages of love -
1. Words of Affirmation
2. Quality Times
3. Giving/Receiving Gifts
4. Acts of Service
5. Physical Touch
My sister recognized mine right away - #3 giving and receiving gifts. And after some soul searching and attention to my outward expressions, I realized this is right on, most of the time. When I feel the need to show my love or appreciation, my immediate response is to give the other person something tangible, whether that be a flower, note, giftcard, email... any token of my love. And I feel most loved when I receive any token of love. Interesting and enlightening.
In hopes of getting to know my future hubby a little better, I insisted that he take a few love language quizzes so we might have a better understanding of one another's needs and expressions of love. It was quite eye opening, refreshing... and accurate.
I highly recommend doing it for fun... it gives a very interesting insight into how you and the people you're surrounded by outwardly show their love and best receive it. To my surprise, when I shared this concept with one of our favorite couples, they revealed that "love languages" were a key topic in their premarital counseling. Good to know we're on the right track! :)
Love Language Quizzes
(Try the 30 Second Love Language Quiz as a starting point)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Leave a Comment