Kitty Cat Crap Nightmare = Buyers' Remorse

Naively, Kory and I thought we had a good handle on the baggage our first home came with.  A short visit this week revealed that we may have purchased our very own Money Pit.  When my mom and I decided to go to Pittsburgh to finish getting the house ready for Kory and Sam's big arrival, our initial intention was to finish painting and cleaning.  I'd also scheduled an air duct cleaning.  We had high hopes for even squeezing in a little shopping...

When we graduated from the main living areas (kitchen, living room, master bedroom), we moved on to start the 2 spare bedrooms, the only carpeted rooms in the entire house.  I vacuumed the beautiful new carpet and started cleaning walls, windows and trim.  For whatever reason I decided to start on the trim.  I started scrubbing away to reveal they were soiled with a brown residue.  I scrubbed and scrubbed until the odor that dampening the soiled area became too much.  I asked my mom to come take a look at it and see if she could determine what we were dealing with. "Cat poop!  That is definitely cat poop!"  
Immediately I went into "buyer remorse" mode!  What had we gotten ourselves in to?

We knew there were hardwood floors underneath the carpet, and now it seemed blatantly obvious why this room was carpeted - and to our horror, we never could have imagined what would be hidden below new carpeting - raw, untouched cat feces and urine, everywhere.  It appears that no one had made any effort to clean the soiled floors and trim, only to cover them and sell the house as if there was nothing lurking below.  In addition to covering the obvious tangible feces, they filled the entire house with lovely little Glade plugins to mask the odor from the cat poop.  And to think, we had thought it was because the basement was a little stinky... haha ... ha!  If only it were so simple. 

So now we are faced with what to do with these 2 bedrooms that held such a well concealed secret - do we try to clean them or just rip them up and call this our first DIY home project?  The new bathroom and any other cosmetic updates will have to wait until we clean out the crap... literally. 

We ended up leaving the house in more disarray than we found it - but what a relief that we found this when we did... before it becomes Sam's house and she digs up the floor dying to find the animal that left the "surprise."

After the fecal matter is removed... this is what remains...

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Head Over Heels. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.